When you suffer tooth loss, your entire life is affected. Basic tasks like eating and speaking become incredibly challenging. Your smile and your confidence deteriorate. The health of your jawbone suffers, as you lose bone mass and your jaw changes shape. Replacing your missing teeth is essential for restoring the functions of your missing teeth, your smile, your oral health, and your quality of life. Ridgeview Dental Group can replace missing teeth with dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a modern treatment for replacing missing teeth. This unique treatment provides you with an additional option along with traditional bridges and dentures. Rather than sitting above the gums, dental implants use small titanium posts that are surgically placed into your jawbone. Your bone gradually fuses to the posts as you heal, a process called osseointegration. This process stabilizes the posts within your jaw, which then turns them into replacement tooth roots. These new roots provide the support for your replacement teeth, rather than your gums or your adjacent teeth.
Versatility for Many Needs
Dental implants are an incredibly versatile treatment and can be used to meet some different needs.
- Single tooth implants. A single tooth implant provides replacement for an individual tooth. One post supports a single crown.
- Multiple teeth implants. This treatment is also commonly called an implant supported bridge. It is used to replace two or more missing teeth in a row. The exact number of posts required for this treatment depends on several factors, including the number of missing teeth and your jawbone.
- Full arch restorations. A full arch restoration is also commonly called an implant supported denture. Typically, this treatment uses 6 to 8 posts to support your replacement teeth.
- All on 4. All on 4 is a full arch restoration that is used when you lack the necessary bone mass for a regular full arch restoration. Your teeth are supported on only four posts. These posts are placed in such a way as to help you avoid the need for a bone graft.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits associated with dental implants, including:
- A more natural appearance. Your replacement teeth are made from ceramic, a material that can be made to perfectly match the color of your natural teeth. It also reflects light just like enamel.
- Feeling and functioning just like real teeth. You can enjoy all of your favorite foods again. Your speech is also perfectly restored.
- Secure fit. Your teeth are held in place on the implant posts with small screws. They will not slip around or fall out.
- Comfort. Your teeth are supported by the implant posts instead of your gums or adjacent teeth.
- Preserving the integrity of your jawbone. The posts function just like the roots of your natural teeth and restore stimulation to your jawbone. This helps to stop and prevent bone loss in your jaw.
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
Even though dental implants provide several significant benefits over traditional bridges and dentures, there are a few drawbacks. These will be discussed during your initial consultation.
- Surgery is required to place dental implants.
- With surgery, there is a recovery period. This can take several weeks to several months, depending upon your specific situation.
- A bone graft may be required if you do not have enough bone mass in your jaw.
- Dental implants can be more expensive than traditional treatments, and may not be completely covered by dental insurance.
Dental implants provide several significant benefits over traditional bridges and dentures. Not only are we able to help restore the functions of your missing teeth and the appearance of your smile, but implants also help to protect the health of your jawbone, stopping and preventing bone loss. Call Ridgeview Dental Group to schedule your appointment and find out if implants are right for you.